Excalibur provides fun and interesting events and screenings for a wide group of students year round. Enthusiasm for these events grows every year as they become more and more part of the Hampshire tradition. Please help Excalibur continue its role in supporting the science fiction, fantasy, and gaming community at Hampshire College in Fall 2012 and beyond. The Excalibur student group has been serving the Hampshire community as the premier science fiction, fantasy, and gaming group for two decades. Excalibur holds some time honored traditions, and is always seeking new ways to engage its membership. Some events, like the role-playing tournament known as Deathfest we hold every semester, have been mainstays for longer than any current members can recall.
All Excalibur's meetings are held in the West Lecture Hall of FPH on Saturday nights at 8PM Meetings consist of the showing of one continuous series throughout the semester and one or two movies, so the meetings go until 11PM or 1AM. Food is (usually) provided for attendees.
Here are examples of things we've shown/wanted to show for the 2012-2013 year:
- Red Dwarf
- Anacondas: Hunt for the Blood Orchid
- Cloud Atlas
- Indiana Jones
- Conan the Barbarian
- Forbidden Planet
- Lord of the Rings Trilogy (extended)
- The Island
- Army of Darkness
- La Horde
- Cabin in the Woods
- Real Steel
- The Hunger Games
All Events will be advertised with posterings and in the Excalibur mailing list emails.
- Deathfest - Excalibur's most renown event is it's 160+ man role-playing tournament where EVERYONE DIES. Except one. It could be you! Taking up all of FPH, but starting in the Main Lecture Hall at 6PM. Food will, of course, be provided.
- Milk and Cookies Night - Towards the end of the semester, as final papers and projects are nearing the point where stress-induced-combustion is an everyday occurrence, Excalibur offers the loving reprieve in place of a normal Saturday meeting. Instead of sci-fi/fantasy goodness, Excalibur shows children’s movies from our past and cartoons, as well as ordering fresh baked cookies, milk and cider for attendees. Prerequist: Childhood.
- Classyscalibur - A new addition to Excalibur, in celebration of Valentine's Day we show up in our classiest formal attire and watch a romantic Sci-Fi/Fantasy movie. It doesn't matter if you have a significant other or are a self-proclaimed bachelor for life. There are red and white flowers for all, and hershey's kisses are thrown around the room.
- Cthulhu Night - At the end of Spring Semester, Excalibur has its last hoo-rah to celebrate the last day of classes. We attempt to summon the Ancient One Cthulhu from the depths to rise and destroy all. With chalk. On May 7th, chalk and food will be provided along with Cthulhu Carols and good spirits as students wander around Hampshire's campus, chalking our way to a new, but wet, world. No previous experience in the field of summoning Ancient Ones or any other great being of god-like proportions necessary.
Sign up for our frequently updated mailing list.
Deathfest Banner (Stolen by jerks)
- XL Deathfest Banner
- Dice for Deathfest
- Possibly various boardgames purchased for Games Night in the past, whereabouts unknown
- Variable amounts of chalk
- The wills and souls of our members
- The peculiar urge to attempt to summon Cthulhu by means of chalk annually
- Musical Intro to Stingray Sam