Transferring to Hampshire

From Hampedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Every Fall, approximately 40 students transfer to Hampshire. These students range from students who took a few college credits in highschool to students with many years of college under their belts. Unlike incoming first-years, transfer students do not take a tutorial course. Advisors are assigned based on the interests you listed in your application, and their primary responsibility is helping you figure out Hampshire's academic system, and (when appropriate) helping you transition into Division II.

Transfer students are considered either "Division I" or "Division II" transfers. This is determined by Central Records, and based on how many college courses you have taken. Central Records also determines which of your courses can be used to satisfy Division I distribution requirements. However, which courses can count towards your Division II is up to your Division II committee.


Division I Transfer Students

Division I transfers are generally students who are coming to Hampshire with less than a year's worth of course credits. Like all other Div I students, you will have to complete a Campus Engaged Learning Activity (CEL-1), make a Division I portfolio, and write a retrospective essay. Depending on how much transfer credit you have, you may be able to do this in one semester. Division I requires 7 courses covering at least four of the five distribution areas.

CEL-1 and Division I Transfers

Div I transfers have to complete the Campus Engaged Learning Activity (CEL-1) requirement (not to be confused with the CEL-2 of Division II). If you would like to pass Division I after just one semester at Hampshire, start this early. CEL-1 requires a minimum of 40 hours of work and is considered the equivalent to one course.

Divsion II Transfer Students

Division II transfers are students coming into Hampshire with at least a year's worth of college credits. Division II transfer students do not have to complete a CEL-1, write a Division I retrospective, or turn in a Division I portfolio. You do have to complete all of the requirements for Division II. Depending on your previous college history, this could take anywhere from one semester to two years (or more).

Preliminary Division II proposals for transfer students are due in October, so one of your first priorities should be finding faculty to work with in Division II. Though the filing deadline isn't until February, don't procrastinate. As soon as classes start (or earlier!) start seeking out faculty members working in your areas of interest and introduce yourself. Even if they don't end up on your committee, they can help you craft your proposal and introduce you to other faculty members you may want to work with.

I'm a Div II Transfer, but I have to fulfill distribution requirements. What does this mean?

This means that while you have taken enough courses for Central Records to consider you a Division II student, your transfer credits do not fulfill all of the required Division I distribution areas. You have to take courses that fulfill these requirements before you can file your Division II. However, even if you have distributions to fill, you should still consider yourself a Div II student and work on writing a preliminary Division II proposal and finding a committee.

Central Records won't tell me how long it will take for me to graduate. Help!

This is because your Division II contract is between you and your Division II committee. Transfer students intent on graduating in two years or less are often concerned by this. Unless you are completely changing your field of study upon transferring to Hampshire, you can usually work on the timeline you want. However, if this is a concern for you, talk to your advisor and prospective Division II committee members about it ASAP.

Other Frequently Asked Questions

Do I get extra points in the Housing Lottery?

Yes! Typically, you can one point per semester enrolled. If you are a Division I transfer student, you are given an extra point. If you are a Division II transfer student, you are given two extra points.

Where are all of the older students?

In the mods, at student group meetings, and usually not at SAGA. Transfer students are often a bit older than first-years, and this can be isolating when living in the dorms. Don't worry! Be friendly and proactive about meeting people and you will find them.

You can also check out the Transfer Student Life Facebook group.

I don't like the advisor I was assigned. What do I do?

You're in luck. As a new transfer student, changing your assigned advisor is one of the easiest things to do.
Step 1: Find someone else who agrees to be your advisor. Step 2: Go to CASA. They will give you a form to fill out. Done. You don't even need to tell your old advisor (but you probably should. Otherwise they might worry about you.)

Who can I contact for transfer-related questions?

You can email the transfer student contact in the Student Life office at transferlife (at)

Personal tools

Hampedia Help